Wednesday 29 November 2023

"JOHN RUTTER'S REQUIEM".

"JOHN RUTTER'S REQUIEM". 

This item provides a written record of the performance by The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra of John Rutter's Requiem, conducted by the composer himself at St. Paul's Cathedral on Wednesday 15th November 2023 at 7.30 p.m., requiring 40 mins. of time.

I. Requiem aeternam (from the Roman Catholic Missa pro defunctis)

Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine: et lux perpetua luceat eis.
Te decet hymnus, Deus in Sion: et tibi reddetur votum in Jerusalem.
Exaudi orationem meam, ad te omnis caro veniet.
Kyrie eleison. Christe eleison. Kyrie eleison. 

Translation:
Grant them rest eternal, Lord: and may light perpetual shine upon them.
Thou, Lord, art worshipped in Sion: thy praises shall ever be sung in Jerusalem.
Hear, O Lord, hear my prayer; to thee shall all mortal flesh return.
Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

II. Out of the deep (Psalm 130)

Out of the deep have I called unto thee, O Lord: Lord. hear my voice.
O let thine ears consider well the voice of my complaint.
If thou, Lord, wilt be extreme to mark what is amiss: O Lord, who may abide it?
For there is a mercy with thee: therefore shalt thou be feared.
I look for the Lord: my soul doth wait for him, and in his word is my trust.
My soul fleeth unto the Lord: before the morning watch, I say, before the morning watch.
O Israel, trust in the Lord, for with the Lord there is mercy: and with him is plenteous redemption.
And he shall redeem Israel from all his sins. 

III. Pie Jesu (from Dies Irae, Missa pro defunctis)

Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem.
Pie Jeus Domine, dona eis sempiternam requiem.

Translation:

Blessed Jesus, Lord I pray, in thy mercy grant them rest.
Lord, our God, we pray thee, grant them everlasting rest. 

IV. Sanctus (from Missa pro defunctis)  

Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus Dominus Deus Sabaoth.
Pleni sunt caeli gloria tua.
Hosanna in excelsis.
Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini.
Hosanna in excelsis. 

Translation:

Holy, Holy, Holy Lord, God of power and majesty.
Heaven and earth are full of thy glory.
Hosanna in the highest.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord: 
Hosanna in the highest.

V. Agnus Dei (Latin text from Missa pro defunctis; English texts from the Burial Service, 1662 Book of Common Prayer)

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi: dona eis requiem.

Translation:

Lamb of God, that takest away the sins of the World: grant them rest. 

Man that is born of a woman hath but  short time to live, and is full of misery.

He cometh up, and is cut down like a flower; he fleeth as it were a shadow.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi: dona eis requiem.
In the midst of life we are in death. Of whom may be seek for succour?
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi: dona eis requiem.
I am the resurrection and the life, saith the Lord:
he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 
and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. 

VI. The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23)

The Lord is my shepherd; therefore can I lack nothing.
He shall feed me in a green pasture, and lead me forth beside the waters of comfort.
He shall convert my soul and bring me forth in the paths of righteousness, for his Name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil;
For thou art with me: thy rod and thy staff comfort me.
Thou shalt prepare a table for me against them that trouble me:
Thou hast anointed my head with oil and my cup shall be full.
But thy loving kindness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

VII. Lux aeterna (English text from the Burial Service; Latin text from Missa pro defunctis)

I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me: 
Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord, 
for they rest from their labours. Even so saith the Spirit. 

Lux aeterna luceat eis, Domine: Cum sanctis tuis in aeternum, quia pius es. 

Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis.

Translation:

Light eternal shine upon them, Lord, we pray: With thy saints ever dwelling,
for they mercy's sake, may they rest in peace.
Grant them rest eternal, Lord, and may light perpetual shine upon them. 


P.S. Sabidius' coadjutor, Andrew Panton, together with his wife Bridget, his son Giles, and nephew Richard attended the performance of 'Rutter's Requiem' and sat in seats immediately under the dome of St. Paul's. What a magnificent experience it was! Thank you, Giles, for ordering those seats so promptly.


No comments:

Post a Comment