Thursday 15 October 2020

HOMER: ODYSSEY: BOOK X: ODYSSEUS AND CIRCE

Introduction:

Although Book X is mainly concerned with Odysseus' relations with the goddess Circe, it begins with two other famous and catastrophic episodes. Firstly, is the account of how Odysseus has almost reached his home of Ithaca when his men let out of the bag the winds which have been given to Odysseus by Aeolus, the king of the winds. As a result Odysseus and his ships are blown back to Aeolia, but Aeolus refuses to help him again and he sails forth once more. His next port of call is Laestrygonia, but here perhaps the greatest disaster in the whole of the "Odyssey" strikes, as its inhabitants, led by the dread Antiphates, turn out to be cannibals. All of his ships, except this own, are destroyed and their crews are slain and consumed by the ferocious man-eaters. Odysseus and his crew escape only because they anchored their ship outside the harbour of the Laestrygonian household of Telepylus. When their ship arrives at Aeaea, an atmosphere of mystery envelopes us, as Odysseus looks for the home of Circe, the daughter of the sun-god, Helios. How he knows Circe lives there is never really explained, but when he sends half of his crew off to seek her house, she welcomes them in, but then turns them into pigs. When their leader Eurylochus returns to report their disappearance, Odysseus decides to go to look for them himself. On his way to Circe's house, he is met by Hermes, the Messenger God, who warns him about what has happened and then gives him a protective herb to protect him from Circe's witchcraft, and advises him how to manage her, including taking her to bed with him. All goes according to plan: his men are restored to their human form, and then they and the rest of the crew, who are then invited to join them, are entertained most generously in Circe's palace for a year. According to myth, Odysseus is Circe's lover during this time, although almost nothing is said in the book about this. However, after a year has passed his men do express some surprise that Odysseus seems to be in no hurry to leave and there can be little doubt that he and Circe have been very close. In fact, Circe's kind and sympathetic treatment of Odysseus and his men makes the cruelty of her initial behaviour somewhat incongruous. The book ends with Circe advising Odysseus that he needs to go down to Hades to consult the spirit of the seer Teiresias about his route homewards. No doubt, his audience in the royal palace in Phaeacia found this part of Odysseus' story entrancing to listen to, and so indeed do we, Homer's readers.                                                                                                                                                       

Ll. 1-52. Odysseus tells his tale: Aeolus entertains Odysseus and his men for a month on his island. He then gives Odysseus the Bag of Winds, and with this on board he and his men set off for Ithaca.

"Then we  came to the Aeolian island (i.e. one of the Lipari islands to the north-west of Sicily); there on a floating island dwelt Aeolus, son of Hippotas, dear to the immortal gods; and all around it (there is) an unbreakable wall of bronze, and a bare cliff runs up (from the sea). His twelve children live in those halls as well, six daughters and six grown-up sons; so, then, he gave his daughters to his sons to be their wives. They are always feasting beside their father and their diligent mother, and endless good food is laid before them, and the house is full of the savour of feasting  and (the sound of feasting) echoes around the courtyard all day long; and, again, at night they sleep beside their tender wives on woollen rugs and on perforated bedsteads. Then did we come to their city and fair palace, and, for a whole month, he made me welcome, and he questioned me about each (thing), (about) Ilium, and the ships of the Argives, and the return home of the Achaeans; and I told him everything in due order. But, when I also began to ask for my leave to depart, and bade (him) send (me on my way), he did not deny (me) anything, and prepared (me) for my journey. And he gave me a leather bag, which he had made from (the hide of) a nine-year-old ox, and in this he bound the force of the blustering winds; for the son of Cronos (i.e. Jupiter) had made him the dispenser of the winds, both to still and to rouse, each as he saw fit. And he secured (it) in my hollow ship with a shining silver wire, so that not even some slight (breath) might escape; then he sent forth a breeze from the west to blow on me, so that it might bear the ships and ourselves on their way; but he was not about to bring (those things) to pass; for we came to grief through our own follies.

"For nine days, we sailed night and day alike, and on the tenth our fatherland was in sight, and we were (so) near that we saw that we saw (men) tending a fire; then, sweet sleep came upon me, exhausted (as I was), for I had been continually managing the sheet of my ship, and I had yielded it to none of my comrades, so that we might come the more quickly to our native-land; but my comrades began to speak these words to one another, and they said that I was bringing home gold and silver (as) gifts from Aeolus, the son of great-hearted Hippotas. And thus one would speak, as he glance at another (who was) close by: 'O yes! how he is welcomed and honoured by all men, whatever city and land he may come to. Much fine treasure is brought (by him) from the spoils of Troy, while we who made the same journey are going homewards holding out empty hands, and now Aeolus has given him all these (things) as a favour for the sake of friendship. But come, let us quickly see what there is, how much gold and silver is in the bag.' 

Ll. 46-86.  Due to their acquisitive natures, Odysseus' men let the winds out of the bag, and the tempest that follows blows them back to the island of Aeolus. When the latter refuses to help them any further, Odysseus' ships set sail again and they come to the land of the Laestrygonians.   

"As they spoke, wicked counsels prevailed among my comrades; they loosened the bag, and the winds all rushed forth. And the tempest swiftly seized them, and bore (them) weeping out to sea (away) from their native-land. But (as for me), when I awoke, I pondered in my goodly heart whether I should let myself fall from the ship and perish utterly in the sea, or silently endure and still remain among the living. So, I endured and remained, and I covered (my face) and lay on (the deck of) the ship. Then, they were borne by an evil blast of wind back to the Aeolian island, and my comrades groaned (aloud).   

"There we went ashore, and drew water, and, straightway, my comrades took a hasty meal beside the ships. But, when we had consumed some food and drink, then I took a herald and a comrade as a companion for myself, and went to the glorious palace of Aeolus; and I came upon him, feasting beside his wife and his children. So, we entered the house and sat down by the door-posts at the threshold; and they were amazed at heart and questioned (us): 'How have you come (to be here), Odysseus? What cruel god has assailed you? In truth, we sent you away with every care, so that you might reach your native-land and home, and anywhere else that is dear to you.' 

So they said, but with a grieving heart I replied to (them): 'Both an untrustworthy crew, and, in addition to them, merciless sleep did me down. But set things right (for me), my friends; for the power (is) in you.' 

"So I spoke, appealing (to them) with these placatory words, but they fell silent; then, the father (i.e. Aeolus) replied in these words: 'Begone from this island with all speed, you most shameful of mortals. for it is not my usual practice to provide for and to send on his way the man who has incurred the hatred of the gods; begone, since you come as one hated by the gods.' 

"Thus speaking, he dismissed (me) from his palace, groaning deeply. Then, we sailed forth with grief in our hearts. The spirits of our men were depressed by the wearisome (work of) rowing, since, due to our stupidity, the wind no longer showed itself. For six days we sailed, night and day alike, and on the seventh we came to the lofty citadel of Lamus at Laestrygonian Telepylus, where herdsman calls to herdsman as he drives in (his flock) and the latter listens as he drives (his own flock) out. And there a sleepless man could earn a double wage, one for tending cattle and the other for grazing the white sheep; for the paths of the night and of the day are close together. 

Ll. 87-132.  The inhabitants of Laestrygonia turn out to be cannibals, and led by their king, Antiphates, they attack and eat most of Odysseus' men and destroy their ships. Odysseus, however, escapes in his own ship with its crew. 

When we came thither into an excellent harbour, around which a steep cliff runs continuously on both sides, and jutting headlands, facing each other, project themselves at the mouth, and the entrance is narrow, then the (captains) all steered their curved ships into (it). These were moored close together within the hollow harbour; for no wave, great or small, ever swelled within it, but all around there was a flat calm. Now, I alone moored my black ship outside (it), binding its cables to a rock there on the far end (of the headland); I climbed up to a rugged vantage-point, and (there) I took my stand. There no works of oxen (i.e. ploughed fields) or of men (i.e. vineyards) were visible, and we saw only (wisps of) smoke rising up from the countryside. Then, I sent out (some of) my comrades to go and inquire what sort of men there were (here) who ate bread upon the earth, and I selected two men and sent a third (man) as a herald together with them. Now, when they had disembarked, they came to a well-used road, down which wagons took wood to the town from the mountain heights, and near the town they met a maiden fetching water, the comely daughter of Laestrygonian Antiphates. Now, she had come down to the fair-flowing spring of Artacia; for from here they used to carry water to the town. So they came up to her, and spoke (to her) and they asked (her) who was the king of these (people) and over whom did he rule; at once, she pointed to her father's lofty house. Then, when they entered the glorious palace, they found his wife, and she was as big as the peak of a mountain, and they shuddered at (the sight of) her.  Now she called her husband, the mighty Antiphates, straight from his place of assembly, and he devised their grievous destruction. He promptly grabbed one of my comrades and made (him) his dinner. But the (other) two sprang up and went in flight to the ships. Then, he raised a hue and cry throughout the town; and, when they heard (it), countless (numbers of) the mighty Laestrygonians came running up one after the other, looking not like men but giants. Then, from the cliffs they hurled boulders as big as a man can carry; and at once a dreadful din arose from the ships of men being killed and ships being crushed; and, piercing (them) like fish, they brought (them) back (for) their gruesome feast. Now, as they were slaying those (men) within the deep harbour, so I drew my sharp sword from my thigh, and with it cut the cables from my dark-prowed ship. And I immediately aroused my comrades and told (them) to lay (their hands) to the oars, so that we might escape from our evil plight. And, fearing death, they all churned up the sea (with their blades). And my ship gladly fled out to sea from the overhanging rocks; but all the other (ones) were destroyed there together.         

 Ll. 133-177.  Odysseus and his crew land at Aeaea, the island home of the goddess Circe, daughter of the Sun-God, Helios. Climbing up to the top of a rocky vantage-point, Odysseus sees smoke in the distance. On his way back to the ship, he kills a huge stag which he brings back as food for his men.  

Thence we sailed onward, grieved at heart, glad (to have escaped) from death, despite the loss of our dear comrades. We came to the island of Aeaea (i.e. later identified by Virgil as Monte Circeii, a promontory on the west coast of Italy, south-east of Rome and north-west of Naples); there lived the fair-haired Circe, a formidable goddess who spoke with a human voice, own sister to the baleful Aeetes; and both were sprung from Helios (i.e. the Sun) who brings light to mortals, and from Perse, their mother, whom Oceanus begat (as) a child. Here we put in to shore in our ship in silence into a harbour that afforded us a safe anchorage; and some god guided (us there). Then we disembarked and lay together there for two days and two nights in (a state of) exhaustion and with grief gnawing at our hearts. 

But, when Dawn with her beautiful tresses ushered in a third day, then, taking my spear and my sharp sword, I went up swiftly from my ship to a vantage-point, hoping that I might see signs of mortals or hear their shouts. Then, I climbed up to a rocky look-out post and (there) I took my stand, and smoke was visible to me, (coming) through thick scrub and woodland from the wide clearing in (which) Circe's halls (lay). Then, when I saw the smoke from the fire, I pondered in my mind and heart (whether) to go and investigate. As I pondered thus, it seemed to be the better (course) to go first to my swift ship and give my comrades their meal, and (then) send (them) out to explore. But when, as I went, I was nearing my curved ship, then some god felt sorry for me in my lonely state, and he sent this huge antlered stag right across my path. He was going down to the river from his woodland pasture in order to drink; for the force of the sun had oppressed him. As he was coming up out of (the water), I struck him on the spine half way up his back; the bronze spear went right through (him), and down he fell in the dust with a bleat, and gave up the ghost. Then, I put my foot on his (carcass), and drew the bronze spear from the wound; and there I left it, lying on the ground; then I plucked brushwood and willow twigs and wove a rope, a fathom in length (and) well-twisted from end to end, and (with it) bound together the feet of that fearful monster, and, slinging (it) around my neck, I set off for my black ship, leaning on my spear, since it was in no way possible to carry it on my shoulder (supported) by one hand; for he was a very large beast. I threw (him) down in front of the ship, and, going up to each man (in turn), I encouraged my crew with words of comfort: 'My friends, despite our sorrows, we are not yet going down to the halls of Hades until the fateful day comes upon (us); but come, so long as (there is) meat and drink in our swift ship, let us think about food, lest we should waste away through hunger.' 

Ll. 178-207.  Odysseus and his men feast on the stag and then fall asleep on the beach. When they awake, Odysseus addresses his comrades, and then divides them into two groups, one led by himself and the other by Eurylochus. 

"So I spoke, and they quickly hearkened to my words, and, taking the veils from (their faces), they stared at the stag (in wonder); for he (really) was a massive beast. But, when they had gladdened their eyes (with) gazing, they washed their hands and prepared a glorious meal. So then, we sat all day long until the setting of the sun, and feasted on the marvellous meat and sweet wine; but, when the sun had set and darkness had come upon (us), then we fell asleep by the sea-shore. But, when the child of the morning, rosy-fingered Dawn, appeared, then I arranged a meeting and addressed (them) all (as follows): 'Hearken to my words, comrades, suffering, as you are, (under) these evil (circumstances); for, O my friends, we do not know where (is) west or where (is) east, nor where the sun that brings light to mortals sinks below the earth, nor where he rises; but we should consider at once whether any plan is still (left to us). Yet I do not think there is. For when I climbed up to a rocky vantage-point, I saw (it is) an island, around which is girt the boundless sea, and (the island), itself, is low lying; and in its middle I could clearly see with my eyes smoke (rising) through thick scrub and woodland.' 

"So I spoke, and their hearts shook within them, when they recalled the deeds of Laestrygonian Antiphates and the violence of the stout-hearted (but) man-eating Cyclops (i.e. Polyphemus). And they cried out aloud and shed great tears, but no good was achieved by their lamentations. 

"Then, I divided my well-greaved comrades into two (groups), and I attached a leader to each (one); I took charge of one (group) and godlike Eurylochus the other. Then, we quickly shook lots in a bronze helmet; and out jumped the lot of great-hearted Eurylochus. 

Ll. 208-260.  Eurylochus and his twenty-two men find Circe's house. She lets them in, but, while feeding them, she turns them into pigs. Only Eurylochus remains outside, and he returns to the ship and tells Odysseus and the others of the disappearance of his men. 

"Then, off he went with his twenty-two weeping comrades; and he left us behind lamenting. They found the house of Circe built of polished stone, in open ground within a forest glade; and around her there were wolves and mountain lions, which she, herself, had tamed, since she gave (them) magic drugs. But these (beasts) did not make a rush at my men, but they pranced around (them) wagging their long tails. And, as when hounds fawn around their master when he comes from a feast, for he always brings (them) things to soothe their tempers, so the wolves and the strong-clawed lions fawned around them; but they were terrified, when they saw these dread creatures. Then they stood in the gateway of the fair-tressed goddess, and within they heard Circe singing in her beautiful voice, as she plied her great and imperishable loom, such as is the delicate, and graceful and dazzling handiwork of the goddesses. Polites, a leader of men, who was the nearest and dearest of my comrades, then began speaking among them: 'O my friends, someone within is singing sweetly while plying a great loom, and the whole floor echoes all around; (it is) either a goddess or a woman; but let us call out (to her) immediately.' 

"So he spoke, and they cried out, as they called to her. And, coming out at once, she opened her shining doors and called (them in); and, in their folly, they all followed (her) inside. But Eurylochus stayed outside, suspecting that it was was a trap. And, bringing (them) in, she sat (them) down on couches and chairs, and she prepared a mess of cheese, and barley-meal, and yellow honey, (diluted) with Pramnian wine (i.e. from the vines of Mount Pramnon on the island of Icaria); but she mixed some noxious drugs in the food, so they might wholly forget their native-land. Now, when she had given (them this potion) and they had drunk (it) down, then she struck (them) with her wand forthwith, and shut (them) up in her pig-sties. Then they had the heads and the voice, the bristles and the shape of swine, but their minds were unaltered, just as they had been before. So they were penned in, weeping, and Circe flung them ilex berries, acorns, and cornel fruit to eat, (food) such as pigs who sleep on the ground always eat. But Eurylochus returned quickly to the swift black ship to report the news of his comrades and their sad fate. But not a single word could he utter, although he yearned to do so, (for) his heart was stricken with great anguish; and his eyes were filled with tears, and his heart was minded to cry aloud. But, when we all showed surprise as we questioned him, then he told (us) of the fate of the rest of his comrades: 'We went through the bushes, as you ordered, noble Odysseus; we found a fine house, built of polished stone, in open ground in a glade. And there someone was singing in a clear voice, while plying her great loom, (and it was) either a goddess or a woman; and they cried out aloud as they called (her). And she came out at once and opened her shining doors, and called (them in); and, in their folly, they all followed (her) inside; but I stayed outside, as I suspected it was a trap. And they all vanished together as a group, and not a single one of them reappeared, though I sat and watched for a long time.'

Ll. 261-301.  Despite Eurylochus' plea that they should flee, Odysseus insists on going to look for his men. On the way to Circe's house, he meets Hermes, who ensures that Circe cannot harm him. 

"So he spoke, and I slung my big bronze silver-studded sword over my shoulders, and by bow around (them as well); and I told him to take (me) back (on) the same path. Then, he clasped my knees with both (hands) and begged, and, as he lamented, he addressed me with these winged words: 'Do not lead me there against my will, (O) favourite of Zeus, but (please) leave (me) here. For I know that you will not return yourself, nor will any other of of your comrades (that) you lead (there). But let us flee with all speed with these men (that are left here). For we might still avoid the evil day.'  

"So he spoke, but I said to him in answer: 'By all means, Eurylochus, you stay here in this place, eating and drinking beside the hollow ship; but I will go, as strong necessity is upon me.' 

"Speaking thus, I turned by back on my ship and the sea. But, when, as I went through the enchanted glades, I was about to come to the great house of the sorceress Circe, then Hermes of the golden wand met me as I was going towards the house, looking like a young man growing his first beard, the freshness of whose youth (was) most charming. He put his hand in mine, and spoke these words as he greeted (me) by name: 'Where now, O wretched man, do you go again through these hills alone, ignorant of the country as you are? Now, your comrades have been penned yonder in Circe's (house), held in crowded sties, as pigs generally (are). Have you come here to free them? But I say that you will not return yourself, but you will remain there like the others. But come now, I will free you and rescue (you) from these evils. Look, take this potent herb and go to the house of Circe, and it will ward off the evil day from your head. And I shall tell you about all of Circe's evil arts. She will prepare you a potion, and cast drugs into the food. But she will not be able to bewitch you; for the potent herb, which I shall give you, will not allow (it), and I will tell you all the rest. Whenever Circe shall smite you with her very long wand, then you should draw your sharp sword from your thigh and rush at Circe as though you mean to slay (her). And she will cower in terror, and urge you to sleep (with her); then after that you must no more reject the goddess's bed, if, that is, she is to free your comrades and to take care of you yourself; but bid her swear a great oath of the blessed (gods) that she will not try another of her evil tricks on you, lest, when you have been stripped naked, she may render you feeble and unmanly.'

Ll. 302-344. Having given Odysseus the protective herb, Hermes departs; Circe admits Odysseus into her house and then tries, unsuccessfully to bewitch him. When Odysseus threatens to kill her, she offers to take him to her bed, but he declines, unless she swears an oath not to harm him.

"Thus speaking, the slayer of Argus (i.e. Hermes) drew the herb from the ground and gave (it to me) and showed me its nature. It was black at root, but its flower was like (the colour of) milk; the gods call it moly; and (it is) hard for mortal men to dig (it) up, but the gods can do all (things). Then, Hermes went up from the wooded island to high Olympus, and I went on to the house of Circe, and was much troubled in my heart as I went. Then, I stood at the gates of the fair-tressed goddess; there I stood and called out, and the goddess heard my voice. And she came out straightaway, and opened her shining doors and called (me in); then I followed (her inside), though my heart was full of misgivings. And she brought me in and sat (me) down on a beautiful chair, skilfully (wrought) with silver studs; and there was a stool for my feet; and she made me a potion in a golden goblet, so I should drink (it), and in (it) she put a drug, with evil thoughts in her heart. But, when she had given (it to me), and I had drunk (it) down, but it had not bewitched me, she struck (me) with her wand and said these words to me in a loud voice: 'Now go to the pig-sty, (and) lie down with the rest of your friends.' 

"As she spoke, I drew my sharp sword from my thigh and rushed at Circe, as though I intended to slay her. But she, with a loud shout, ran beneath (my blade) and clasped my knees, and, bursting into tears, she addressed these winged words to me: 'Who (are you) among men, (and) from where (do you come)? Where (is) your city and (who are) your parents? Amazement takes hold of me that, having drunk that drug (of mine), you are not bewitched in any way; for no other man has ever withstood this drug, when once he has drunk (it) and it has passed the barrier of his teeth. You must have a heart in your breast that is proof against enchantment. For sure, you are Odysseus, (that man) of many wiles, whom the slayer of Argus with the golden wand has always told me would come (here) from Troy on his way home with his swift black ship. But come now, put your sword in its sheath, and then let the two of us go up to our bed, so that, entwined in bed and in love-making, we may put our trust in each other.'

"So she spoke, but I said to her in answer: 'O Circe, why, how can you bid me be gentle to you, (you) who have turned my comrades into swine (here) in your halls, and (who) keeps me here and cunningly bids (me) go to your bed-chamber and come to your bed, so that, when you have stripped me naked, you may render (me) feeble and unmanly? I am not willing to go to your bed, unless, goddess, you undertake to swear a great oath to me that you will not try any other evil trick upon me.'

Ll. 345-387. After Circe has sworn the required oath, Odysseus joins her in bed. Afterwards Odysseus is bathed and dressed by Circe's servants, but he refuses to touch the food and drink put before him until Circe releases his comrades from their bondage.  

"So I spoke, and at once she swore as I had bade (her). But, when she had sworn and completed her oath, then I went up to Circe's most beautiful bed. Meanwhile, her four handmaidens, who were working for her in the house, were busy in the halls; now they were born from springs and groves, and from sacred rivers that flow into the sea. And one of them threw fair purple blankets over the chairs, and put smooth unembroidered (cloth) underneath (them); and the second one drew up silver tables in front of the chairs, and set golden bread-dishes upon them; and the third mixed sweet mellow wine in a silver bowl and served (it in) golden goblets; and the fourth brought water, and kindled a large fire beneath a great cauldron; and the water grew hot. But, when the water boiled in the bright bronze (vessel), she sat (me) in a bath-tub and bathed (me with water) out of the great cauldron, mixed (with cold) to a comfortable heat, and pouring it over my head and shoulders, till she took the soul-destroying weariness from my limbs. But, when she had bathed (me) and anointed (me) richly with oil, and had cast a fair cloak and a tunic around me, then she brought me (into the hall) and sat (me) on a beautiful chair, skilfully wrought with silver studs, and there was a stool beneath my feet. Then a handmaid brought purified water and poured it from a lovely golden ewer, so that I might wash (my hands) in a silver vessel; and she laid a polished table beside (me). Then, a trusty housekeeper brought bread and placed (it) at my side, and she added many (other dishes of) food, giving freely of (the stores) at hand. And she bade (me) eat; yet there was no pleasure in my heart, but I was elsewhere in my thoughts, and my mind was full of evil forebodings. 

"Now, when Circe realised that I was sitting there and not putting out my hands to the food, but that deep sorrow was taking hold of me, she came close (to me) and spoke these winged words: 'Why do you sit there, Odysseus, like a dumb (man), eating out your heart, and touch neither food nor drink? Or perhaps you suspect some other trick; but you do not need to fear any such thing; for I have already sworn you a mighty oath.' 

So she spoke, but I answered her and said: 'O Circe, what man who is right-minded could bear to consume food or drink, before he had freed his comrades and seen (them) with his own eyes? But, if you bid (me) in earnest to eat and drink, (then) free my faithful comrades, so I can see (them) with my own eyes.' 

Ll. 388-427.  After Circe has restored Odysseus' comrades to their normal shape, she persuades him to go back to the ship and collect the rest of his crew that are waiting anxiously for him. 

"So I spoke, and Circe went out through the hall, holding her wand in her hand, and she opened the doors of the pig-sty, and she drove (them) out, looking like fat hogs, full-grown in age. Then they stood (there) in front (of her), and she went among them, and anointed each one (of them) with another medicine. Then, the bristles, which that accursed drug, which queenly Circe had given them, had previously caused to grow, fell from their limbs; and they became men again, (and) they were younger than before, and far more handsome and taller to look upon. And they knew me, and each man was restored to life in my hands. Then a heartfelt sobbing came upon (them) all, and this echoed around the fearful house; and even the goddess herself took pity (on them).  

"Then, that most divine of goddesses stood near me and said: 'Zeus-born son of Laërtes, ever-resourceful Odysseus, go now to your swift ship and to the shore of the sea. Then, first of all, draw your ship up on to the land, and store your goods and all your tackle in some caves; and then come back yourself and bring your trusty comrades (with you).' 

"So she spoke, and my manly heart was persuaded, and I went my way to the swift ship and the shore of the sea. Then, I found my trusty comrades by the swift ship, wailing pitifully and shedding great tears. And as, when calves in a farmstead all frisk about together in the presence of a herd of cattle returning to their stall when they have had their fill of fodder, and their pens no longer hold (them), but they gambol about around their mothers, lowing loudly, so those (men), when they saw (me) with their eyes, thronged around me weeping; and it seemed to their hearts to be just as if they had reached their native-land and the very city of rugged Ithaca, where they were born and bred. And, amid their wailing, they spoke these winged words to me: 'At your return, (O) favourite of Zeus, we are as happy as if we had gone back to our native-land of Ithaca; but come, tell (us) of the fate of our comrades.'

"So they spoke, and I replied with these gentle words: 'First of all, let us draw the ship up on to the land, and store our goods and all our tackle in those caves; then, you yourselves must make haste and follow after me, so that you may see your comrades eating and drinking in Circe's sacred palace; for they have an abundant (supply).' 

Ll. 428-474.  Despite the strong reservations of Eurylochus, Odysseus leads the rest of his men back to Circe's palace, where the whole crew remains for a year, eating and drinking to their hearts' content. 

"So I spoke, and they were quickly persuaded by my words. Eurylochus alone sought to restrain my comrades; and he spoke and addressed them with these winged words: 'Ah, (you) wretched (men), where are we going? Why are you looking for such troubles as these? We are going to Circe's palace, where she will turn (us) all into pigs or wolves or lions, so that we should be forced to stand guard over that great house of hers. Just so did the Cyclops pen (us) up, when our comrades came to his fold, and the rash Odysseus went along with (them); for those (men) perished through this (man's) recklessness.' 

So he spoke, and I pondered within my heart whether to draw my long-pointed sword from beside my stout thigh and lop off his head and let it fall to earth, despite him being my very close kinsman by marriage (i.e. he was believed to be the husband of Odysseus' sister, Ctimene). But, one by one, my comrades calmed (me) down with these gentle words: '(O man) born of Zeus, if you so command, let us leave this (man) here to stay by the ship and guard the ship; but, as for us, do you lead (us) to Circe's sacred palace.' 

"So saying, they went up from the ship and the sea. Nor was Eurylochus left by the hollow ship, but he came with (us); for he feared my stinging rebuke.     

Meanwhile, in her palace Circe had graciously bathed the rest of my colleagues, and richly anointed (them) with oil, and she cast fleecy cloaks and tunics around (them); and we found (them) all feasting bountifully in her halls face to face. But, when they saw and recognised one another face to face, they wept and wailed, and the whole house echoed with their lamentations. Then, that most divine of goddesses stood near (to me) and said: 'Now do you no longer let loose this bitter grief; I know myself both the deep woes which you have suffered on the teeming deep, and the mischiefs which implacable men have done (you) on the land. But come, eat food and drink wine, until you get the spirit in your breasts back again, such (as it was) when you first left your native-land of rugged Ithaca. But now (you are) worn out and dispirited, always brooding on the hardships of your wandering, nor are your hearts ever in a cheery (state), since you have, indeed, suffered so much.' 

"So she spoke, and our manly hearts were again persuaded. There we lingered each day for a full year, feasting on the wonderful meat and the sweet wine; but, when a year had passed and the seasons had returned on their course, as the months waned and the long days had completely ended, then my trusty comrades called me aside and said: 'Strange (man), by now you should be thinking of your native-land, if it is decreed by the gods that you should be saved and return to your high-roofed house and to your native-land.'

Ll. 475-502.  Having been persuaded by his men that it is time to move on, Odysseus seeks Circe's help to return home; Circe, however, informs him that he must first visit Hades to consult the seer Teiresias. 

So they spoke, and my manly heart was convinced. So then all day long until the setting of the sun we sat, feasting on the wonderful meat and the sweet wine; but, when the sun set and the darkness came on, they lay down to sleep throughout the darkened halls. But I went up to Circe's beautiful bed and besought (her) by her knees, and the goddess heard my voice; and I spoke and addressed her with these winged words: 'O Circe, fulfil that promise, which you once made me, to send (me) home; for my spirit is now eager to be released, and (so are the spirits) of the rest of my comrades, who exhaust my heart as they (stand) around me lamenting, whenever you happen to be away.' 

"So I spoke, and that most divine of goddesses answered at once: '(O) Zeus-born son of Laërtes, ever-resourceful Odysseus, do not now stay in my home any longer against your will, But, first, you must make another journey, and go into the house of Hades and dread Persephone, in order to consult the spirit of the blind Theban prophet Teiresias, whose faculties are unimpaired; for, dead (though he is,) Persephone has granted him reason, and (to him) alone wisdom, while the others flit to and fro (like) shadows.'

"So she spoke, and my heart was crushed within me; and I wept as I sat on the bed, nor did my heart now wish to live any longer and to see the light of the sun. But, when I had had my fill of weeping and writhing around, then, in answer to her, I began to speak in these words: 'O Circe, but who will guide (us) on this journey? For no one has ever yet gone into Hades in a black ship.'

Ll. 503-545.  Circe gives Odysseus detailed instructions as to how he is to reach the realm of Hades and consult the seer Teiresias about his homeward journey. 

"So I spoke, and the most divine of goddesses replied at once: '(O) Zeus-born son of Laërtes, ever-resourceful Odysseus, let no desire for a pilot trouble you (when you are) beside your ship, but sit you down (in it) and set up your mast and unfurl your white sails; and, let me tell you, the breath of the North Wind will carry her. But, when you have crossed the (stream of) ocean in your ship, there (there is) a small promontory and the groves of Persephone, (where there are) tall poplars and willows that shed their fruit, and there do you beach your ship beside the deep-eddying ocean, and go yourself into the dank house of Hades. There the Pyriphlegethon (i.e. the River of Fire) and the Cocytus (i.e. the River of Lamentation), which is a branch of the waters of the Styx (i.e. the River of Hate, and the principal river of the Underworld) flow into the Acheron (i.e. the River of Woe), and (there is) a rock and a meeting place of the two roaring rivers. There and then, hero, do you draw near, as I bid you, and dig a hole to the extent of a cubit (i.e. fifteen inches) in length and breadth, and around it pour a libation to all of the dead, firstly (one of) milk and honey, and afterwards (one of) sweet wine, and then in the third place (one of) water; then do you strew white barley-meal upon (it). Then, you must make earnest supplication to the powerless heads of the dead, (vowing) that, when you come to Ithaca, you will sacrifice in your halls a barren heifer, the best one (you have), and that you will fill the pyre with rich (gifts), and that you will sacrifice separately to Teiresias alone an all-black ram, which (will be) the most outstanding (one) in your flock. But, when you have made supplications in your prayers to the glorious tribes of the dead, then you will sacrifice a young ram and a black ewe, while turning (them) towards Erebus, while you yourself should turn away and look towards the current of the (ocean-)stream; then, many spirits of the dead corpses will appear there. Then, you must arouse your comrades and order (them) to flay and incinerate the (bodies of) the sheep, which will be lying there slaughtered by your pitiless bronze (blade), and then to offer prayers to the gods, mighty Hades and dread Persephone. And you yourself must draw your sharp sword from your thigh and sit (there), not letting the powerless heads of the dead come any nearer to the blood, until you have consulted Teiresias. Soon, the seer will come to you there, (O) leader of men, and he will tell you your route and the stages of your journey home, and how you will get there over the teeming deep.' 

"So she spoke, and Dawn with her golden throne came at once. The nymph (i.e. Circe) clothed me in a cloak and tunic (as) raiment, and she dressed herself in a long white mantle, delicate and pretty, and around her waist she cast a beautiful golden girdle, and put a veil upon her head. 

Ll. 546-574.  After Elpenor, one of their comrades, falls to his death from the roof of the palace, Odysseus leads his crew back to the ship, but his men become greatly distressed at the news that Hades is their next port of call. Meanwhile Circe has brought sacrificial victims to the ship. 

"Then, I went through the palace and roused my comrades with cheery words, standing beside each man (in turn): 'Now sleep and enjoy the breath of sweet slumber no longer, but let us go; for queenly Circe has told me (everything).' So I spoke, and their manly hearts consented to my (words). But not even then could I lead my comrades away unscathed. There was one, Elpenor, the youngest (of them all), not very sturdy in battle or steady in his mind; longing for fresh air and heavy with wine, he lay down (on the roof) of Circe's palace. Hearing the noise and thuds of his comrades, he suddenly leapt up, and it slipped his mind to go back down again by going to the long ladder, but he fell straight down from the roof; and his neck was wrenched out of its vertebrae, and his spirit went down to (the house of) Hades. Then, as they were going on their way, I spoke these words among (them): 'Now you no doubt think that you are going home to your native-land; but Circe has indicated another journey for us to the house of Hades and dread Persephone, so that we can consult the spirit of Theban Teiresias.' 

"So I spoke, and their hearts were broken within them, and they sat down where they were and wept and tore their hair; but no good at all came from their lamentations. 

"But, when we were making our way to the black ship and the sea-shore, sorrowing and shedding huge tears, so Circe had gone ahead (of us) and tethered a male sheep and a black ewe by the black ship. She had easily slipped past (us); (for) who can observe with their eyes a god going to and fro, when he does not wish (it)?"

 
















No comments:

Post a Comment