Saturday 15 May 2021

HOMER: ODYSSEY: BOOK XII: SCYLLA AND CHARYBDIS

Introduction:

Book XII of the "Odyssey" concludes the long account that Odysseus gives the Phaeacians of the events which have occurred to him since he left the hospitality of Calypso and arrived on the island of Scheria, where he is entertained by King Alcinous and his family. The story which Odysseus tells Alcinous and his spell-bound courtiers takes up four of the Odyssey's twenty-two books, and covers the following topics: the Cyclops (Bk. IX), Circe (Bk. X), the Kingdom of the Dead (Bk. XI), and Scylla & Charybdis (Bk. XII). By the time Book XII opens, Odysseus' followers have been reduced to the crew of but one boat. When they leave the island of Aeaea, they have to face the successive hazards, of the Wandering Rocks, the Sirens, the six-headed monster Scylla and the devilish whirlpool, Charybdis. Finally, they come to Thrinacia, the island of Helios, the Sun-God, whose sheep and cattle they have been warned by Circe that they must not touch. Unfortunately, in the temporary absence of Odysseus, his men are induced by Eurylochus, one of his chief lieutenants, to slaughter, and feast on, the pick of Helios' oxen. The enraged Sun-God prevails upon Zeus to avenge his dead cattle, and, when they set sail again, a mighty storm arises which sinks the ship. All the men are drowned, save Odysseus, who had not been involved in the earlier sacrilege, and the Book ends with Odysseus telling of his arrival at Ogygia, the home of the nymph and demi-goddess Calypso, where, as have learned earlier in Book V, he is sadly to be marooned for the next seven years. The end of Book XII is a significant moment in the work as a whole, as from then onwards we learn of Odysseus' return to Ithaca and the events that follow.


Ll. 1-35.  Odysseus tells his tale. They return to Aeaea, where Elpenor's body is cremated.  

"Now, when our ship had left the stream of the river of Ocean and had come to the waves of the broad sea and the island of Aeaea, where are the dwelling and the dancing-floors of the early-born Dawn(-goddess) and the risings of the Sun, on our arrival there we beached our ship on the sands, and disembarked ourselves on to the sea-shore, and there we fell asleep and waited for the bright Dawn.

"As soon as the early-born rosy-fingered Dawn appeared, then I sent out some of my comrades to the house of Circe to fetch the body of the dead Elpenor. Then, at once we chopped up some logs (of wood), (and at the point) where the shore jutted out the farthest, we performed his funeral rites, sorrowfully and shedding big tears. But, when his corpse was burned, and the dead man's armour too, we heaped up a mound and dragged a pillar of stone on to (it), (and) on the top of the mound we planted his shapely oar.

"So we performed each of these (rites); now our return from Hades had not escaped Circe's notice, but she came very quickly (to us) well adorned; and, at the same time, her handmaidens brought her bread, and a plentiful (supply of) meat, and sparkling red wine. Then, the most divine of goddesses addressed (us), as she stood in our midst: '(O what) reckless (men you are), who have gone down alive into the house of Hades, dying twice, when other men die once. But come, eat food and drink wine here all day long; then I shall show (you) the way and make everything clear, so that you may not suffer any woes or feel any bodily pain, as a result of bad planning either by sea or on land.'

"So she spoke, and then our proud hearts consented. So then we sat (there) all day until sunset, feasting on the wonderful meat and the sweet wine; but, when the sun went down and darkness came on, they (i.e. Odysseus' men) lay down by the stern-cables of the ship, and she took me by the hand and sat me down far away from my dear comrades, and she lay beside (me) and inquired into everything (that had happened); and I told her everything in accordance with the truth. 

Ll. 36-72. Circe tells Odysseus about the Sirens and the Wandering Rocks. 

"And then queenly Circe addressed me in these words: 'All these (things) (i.e. the events in Book XI) have thus been accomplished, but listen (now to my words), as I shall tell (them) to you, and some god himself will remind you (of them) too. First, you will come to the Sirens, who bewitch all men that come to them. Whoever draws near to (them) unawares, and hears the voices of the Sirens, no wife and infant children ever stand beside him or rejoice at his home-coming, but the Sirens enchant (him) with their clear-toned song as they sit (there) in a meadow, and all around them (there is) a great heap of the bones of rotting men, and around these bones the skin is withering away. But row (your ship) past (them), and soften some beeswax and anoint the ears of your crew (with it), lest any of the others should hear; but, if you, yourself, wish to listen, let them bind you hand and foot in the swift ship, (standing) upright in the mast-step, and let rope-ends be fastened to (the mast) itself, so that you may listen with joy to the voice of the Sirens. But, if you should beg and command your comrades to release (you), then let them bind you in still more bonds. Now, when your crew have rowed past them, then after that I shall no longer tell you clearly as to which of two courses will be your route, but you must ponder (it) in your mind; and I will tell you about both (routes). For on one side (are) the overhanging rocks, and against these crash the great waves of dark-eyes Amphitrite (i.e. the daughter of Nereus and the wife of Poseidon); the blessed gods, let me tell you, call these the Planctae (i.e. the Wandering Rocks). There not even a bird may go by, (no,) not even the timid doves that bring Father Zeus his ambrosia, but the bare rock carries (one) of them off; and the Father sends in another (one) to make up the numbers. And not one ship of men that has come to this place has ever escaped from it, but the waves of the sea and the storms of deadly lightning toss ships' timbers and men's bodies around together. Indeed, only one seafaring ship did sail past by that (route), (namely) the 'Argo', cared for by all, as she was sailing from (the court of) Aeëtes (i.e. the king of Colchis, the brother of Circe, and the father of Medea). Now (the waves of the sea) would have speedily dashed her too against the great rocks, but Hera sent (her) past (them), since Jason (i.e. the captain of the 'Argo', which was bearing the Golden Fleece) was dear to her.  

Ll. 73-110.  Circe tells Odysseus about Scylla and Carybdis. 

" 'Now on the other side (there are) two crags, one of which reaches the broad heavens with its sharp peak, and a dark cloud has enveloped it; this (condition) never clears away, nor does a clear sky ever possess its peak, either in summer or during the time of the fruit-harvest (i.e. the autumn). No mortal man could climb (it), not even if he had twenty hands and feet; for (the face of) the rock is smooth, as if (it were) polished all over. And in the midst of the crag there is a murky cavern, facing towards the west (and down) to Erebus, the very place past which you shall steer your hollow ship, illustrious Odysseus. Not even a man of full body strength could reach the hollow cave with an arrow shot from his hollow ship. And therein dwells Scylla (i.e. the 'Render' or 'Tearer'), barking terribly. Her yelp is indeed as loud as a new-born puppy's, but then (she) herself (is) an evil monster: nor (is there) anyone (who) would be pleased to see her, not even a god, if he came to meet (her). Indeed, her twelve feet are all misshapen, and she (has) six very long necks, and on each (one there is) an ugly head, and within (each of these there are) three rows of thick and close-set teeth, full of the menace of death. She is sunk up to her waist in the depths of the grotto, but she sticks out her heads from the fearful abyss, and there she fishes, gazing eagerly around the cavern for dolphins and dog-fish (i.e. a species of sword-fish), and (to see) if she may catch (any of) the  larger creatures (i.e. seals) which the much-groaning Amphitrite rears in their thousands. No sailors may ever yet boast that they have fled past her in their ship unscathed; for with each head she carries off a man (whom she has) snatched from the dark-prowed ship.  

" 'The other crag (is) lower in appearance, Odysseus. (They are) close to one another; and you could shoot an arrow between them. And on it there is a great fig-tree, rich in foliage; and below this dread Charybdis (i.e. Whirlpool) sucks the dark water down. For three times a day she spews (them) up, and three time she swallows (them) in her horrible (way); may you not be there when she sucks (it) down. For no (one), not even the Earthshaker (i.e. Poseidon) could (then) save you from ruin. But be sure to keep close to Scylla's rock, and drive your ship speedily past (it), for it is far better to mourn six comrades in your ship than all (of the crew) at the same time.'  

Ll. 111-152.  They leave Aeaea once more. 

"So she spoke, but I addressed her (thus) in reply: 'But come now, goddess, be absolutely honest with me here, if (there is) some way in which I might steer clear of deadly Charybdis and yet ward off that other one (i.e. Scylla), when she tries to harm my crewmen.'  

"So I spoke, and the most divine of goddesses replied at once: '(O you) irrepressible (one), you are thinking again of the deeds and the toil of war; but you cannot escape the immortal gods, (can you)? For she is not mortal, I tell you, but an immortal fiend, fearful and grievous, and savage and not to be fought with; nor is there any defence (against her); to flee from her (is) the best (thing to do). For if you tarry  by the cliff to put on your armour, I fear she may make a dash at you once more and strike at you with her numerous heads, and seize as many men (as she has heads) (i.e. six). But row past with very great force, and (then) call upon Crataiïs, the mother of Scylla, who bore her (as) a bane to mortals; then she will stop her from darting forth again. 

" 'Then you will come to the island of Thrinacia; there feed the plentiful cattle of Helios and his goodly sheep, seven herds of cattle and as many fine flocks of sheep, with fifty (head) in each. They have no offspring, nor do they ever die. And goddesses are their shepherds, the fair-haired nymphs, Phaethusa (i.e. 'Bright') and Lampetia (i.e. Shining'), whom the lovely Neaera (i.e. 'Fresh') bore to Helios Hyperion (i.e. the Sun-god). These, when she had borne and reared (them), their queenly mother sent far away from their birthplace to look after their father's sheep and crooked-horned cattle. If you leave these untouched, and are mindful of your journey home, in truth you may still reach Ithaca, despite suffering hardships; but, if you harm (them), then I predict the destruction of your ship and its crew; and, even if you yourself manage to escape, you will arrive home late and in a wretched state, having lost all your comrades.'  

"So she spoke, and golden-throned Dawn came at once. Then, the most divine of goddesses made her way inland; now I went to the ship and exhorted my comrades to get themselves on board and to loosen the stern-cables. So, they straightway embarked and sat down on their rowing-benches. Then, sitting in a row, they struck the grey surf with their oars. And then the fair-haired Circe, that dread goddess with the voice of a woman sent us, (as) a stout companion, a favourable wind (blowing) from the stern of our dark-prowed ship and filling our sails. Having at once set in order each (piece of) tackle throughout the ship, we sat down; then the wind and the helmsman kept the (ship) on course.   

Ll. 153-191.  Odysseus and his crew approach the Sirens. 

"Then, troubled at heart, I addressed my comrades: 'My friends, it is not right that only one or two (of us) should be aware of the prophecies which Circe, that most divine of goddesses, has made to me; but I will tell (them to you), so that, knowing (them), we may either die or avoid death and destruction and make our escape. First, she told (us) to avoid the voice of the divinely sounding Sirens and their flowery meadow. She instructed that I alone should listen to their voice; but you must bind me with a very tight knot, so that I may stay fixed in this very spot, (standing) erect on the mast-step, and the rope-ends must be made fast to it. And, if I should beg you to release (me), then you must tighten my bonds (still) further.' 

"So, in my speech I revealed everything to my comrades; meanwhile, our well-built ship came speedily to the island of the Sirens; for a kindly wind had propelled (her). Then, at once, the wind ceased, and a still calm set in, and some power lulled the waves. Then, my comrades arose and furled the ship's sails and stowed them in the hollow ship (i.e. in the hold), and then they sat down at their oars, and made the sea white with their polished pinewood blades. Then, I cut up a large cake of beeswax with my sharp sword, and kneaded (the slivers) with my stout hands; then quickly the wax grew warm, when my strong pressure and the rays of the lord Helios, the son of Hyperion, worked on (it). Then, I plugged the ears of all my comrades in turn. Then they bound me together hand and foot in the ship, (as I stood) upright on the mast-step, and they made fast the rope-ends to it. Then, they sat down and smote the grey sea with their oars; but, when we were as far away as (a man) can make himself heard when he shouts, and we were making swift progress, then (the fact that) our swift ship was drawing near did not escape their notice, and they broke into their clear-toned song: 'Come hither, much-praised Odysseus, great glory of the Achaeans, and bring your ship to rest, so you may hear our voice. For no one has ever sailed his ship past this spot, without hearing the melodious voice (that comes) from our lips, and then he goes on his way rejoicing and knowing (much) more. For we know all that the Argives and the Trojans suffered on the broad (plain) of Troy by the will of the gods, and we know whatever occurs on this fruitful earth.'  

Ll. 192-233.  Odysseus and his crew leave the Sirens behind them, and approach the horrors of Scylla.

"So they spoke, sending forth their beautiful voice; then my heart longed to listen, and I ordered my crew to set (me) free, making signs (at them) with my eyebrows; but they bent forward and continued to row. Then, Perimedes and Eurylochus jumped up and tied me in yet more bonds and drew (them still) tighter. But, when they had rowed past them, and we could no longer hear the voice or the song of the Sirens, then my trusty comrades quickly removed the wax with which I had plugged their ears, and freed me from my bonds.   

"But, when we had left the island, then at once I saw smoke and a great surging tide, and I heard the thundering sound (of breakers). The (men) were so frightened that their oars flew from their hands, and they all fell with a splash into the current; and there our ship came to a standstill when their pointed oars were no longer active in their hands. Then, I went up and down the ship, and stood beside each man and encouraged my comrades with these soothing words: 'My friends, we are not (the sort of men) who have never experienced any troubles before; for this evil that besets (us now) is no greater than when the Cyclops (i.e. Polyphemus) shut (us) up in his hollow cave by his mighty strength; but even then we made our escape through my valour, and planning, and (quick) thinking, and these dangers too I think we shall one day recall. So, come now, let us all agree (to do) exactly as I say. Now, keep sitting on your benches, and strike the deep swell of the sea with your oars in the hope that Zeus will allow us to escape and avoid such destruction. Helmsman, I order you thus; now, keep (this) in your mind, since you ply the rudder of our hollow ship. Keep the ship away from this smoke and surf, and stay close to the cliff (i.e. Scylla), lest you should unwittingly direct her to the other side (i.e. the Planctae), and so bring us to disaster.'

"So I spoke, and they quickly hearkened to my words. But I spoke no more of the inescapable horror of Scylla. lest somehow in their panic my comrades should stop rowing, and huddle together in the hold. Then, I let myself forget Circe's grievous instruction, as she had commanded me not to arm myself in any way; but, when I had put on my glorious armour and grasped two long spears in my hands, I stepped on to the quarter-deck of the ship's prow; for from there I was hoping to get the first view of rock-bound Scylla, the one who was bringing disaster upon my comrades. But I could not catch a glimpse of (her) anywhere, though my eyes grew weary as I gazed at all parts of the misty rock. 

Ll. 234-276.  Leaving Scylla and Charybdis in their wake, after the former has snatched six members of the crew, they reach Thrinacia, which Odysseus counsels them to avoid. 

"Then we sailed up the straits, wailing in terror; for on one side (lay) Scylla, and on the other the awesome Charybdis sucked down the salt seawater in a dreadful manner. Now, whenever she vomited (it) up, everything (from her inmost depths) would be stirred up and foam like a cauldron on a big fire, and the froth would fall from above on to the tops of both of the crags (i.e. Scylla and Charybdis); but, whenever the salt seawater was being sucked in, everything could be seen inside swirling around (in utter turmoil), and roundabout the rock roared fearfully, while beneath the earth appeared dark with sand; and pale fear seized my (men). Now we looked towards her, fearing destruction; meanwhile, however, Scylla seized from the hollow ship six of my comrades, who were the best in handiwork and strength. But, when I looked at the swift ship and in search of my colleagues at the same time, I noticed that their feet and hands (were) already (dangling) above (me), as they were raised aloft; and they were crying out, calling upon me by name, now for the last time in anguish of heart. And, as when a fisherman, (seated) upon some jutting rock, casts food as bait for the little fishes, and lowers the horn of a field-ox into the sea on his long rod, and then catches a struggling (fish) and flings (it) on to the land, so my struggling (comrades) are borne on to the rocks. There at the entrance she devoured (them) as they shrieked and stretched out their hands to me in their dreadful death-throes. That (was) the most pitiable (sight) that I beheld with my eyes of all that I bore (while) exploring the pathways of the sea.   

"Now, when we had escaped the rocks, and dread Charybdis and Scylla, then at once we came to the splendid island of the god; there were the lovely broad-browed cattle and the many sturdy sheep of Hyperion Helios. Then, while I was still out at sea in my black ship, I could hear the cattle lowing as they were being housed for the night, and the sheep bleating, and there came into my mind the words of Teiresias, the blind Theban seer, and of Circe of Aeaea, who told me very many (times) to avoid the island of Helios, who gladdens the hearts of men. Then, sad at heart, I addressed my comrades (thus): 'Listen to me, comrades in suffering, even though what I am saying (is) difficult, so that I may tell you the predictions of Teiresias, and of Circe of Aeaea, who told (me) very many (times) to avoid the island of Helios, who gladdens the hearts of men. For there, she said, lies our most deadly peril. So, drive your black ship past the island.' 

Ll. 277-326.  Odysseus and his crew land at Thrinacia.  

"So I spoke, and their hearts were broken within them. But Eurylochus answered me at once with hostile words: 'You are a hard (man), Odysseus; you (have) strength beyond (that of other men), and your limbs never tire; verily, you must be wholly wrought of iron, in that you do not allow your men, overcome (as they are) with toil, and drowsiness too, to set foot on (dry) land, so we can prepare (ourselves) a tasty supper here on this sea-girt island, but instead you tell (us) to abandon the island and to go wandering off through the swift night over the misty deep. (It is) at night that fierce winds, the wreckers of ships, spring up; how could one escape utter destruction, if, haply, there should suddenly arise a blast of the South, or of the stormy West, Wind, (as these are the ones) which most often sink ships, despite the will of our lords, the gods? But now, let us give way to the darkness of night, and cook our supper, staying at the side of our swift ship; then, in the morning, we can go aboard and put out into the broad sea.'

"So spoke Eurylochus, and the rest of my comrades gave their assent to (his speech). Then I realised that some evil spirit had a calamity in store (for us), and, speaking these winged words, I addressed him: 'Eurylochus, you are very much forcing my (hand), as I am alone (in my view). (Very well!) But come now, you must all swear this mighty oath to me: that, if we should come across any herd of cattle or some great flock of sheep, no one shall ever slay a single ox or sheep in (a fit of) wanton recklessness; just be at ease and eat the food which immortal Circe has provided.'    

"So I spoke, and at once they swore a solemn oath, just as I had bade (them). Then, when they had sworn and completed the oath, we moored our well-built ship in a deep harbour near (a spring of) sweet water, and the crew disembarked from the ship, and then skilfully prepared their supper. But, when they had satisfied their desire for food and drink, then they lamented, as they remembered their dear comrades, whom Scylla had snatched from the hollow ship and devoured; and sweet sleep came upon them as they wept. 

"But when it was the third (watch) of the night, and the stars had passed their zenith, Zeus the cloud-gatherer whipped up a stormy wind by means of a wondrous tempest, and covered land and sea alike with clouds; and night rushed down from heaven. When early-born rosy-fingered Dawn appeared, we beached our ship and dragged (her) into a hollow cave. Now there there were the fair dancing-floors and meeting places of the nymphs; and then I called a meeting, and spoke these words in their midst: 'My friends, as there is meat and drink in our swift ship, let us keep away from these cows, lest we come to some harm; for these (are) the cows and sturdy sheep of a dread god, Helios (that is, he,) who oversees everything and overhears everything.'  

"So I spoke, and their proud hearts consented to these (words). Then, for a whole month the South Wind blew unceasingly, nor did any other of the winds arise except the East and South (winds).   

Ll. 327-363.  Odysseus' crew break their oath.

"As long as they had bread and red wine, so they kept away from the cattle, as they were anxious to save their lives. But, when the provisions in the ship had all been consumed, and they were, of necessity, wandering about, with curved hooks, in quest of game, fishes, fouls, and whatever might come into their hands, for hunger was pinching their bellies, then I went away up into the island to pray to the gods, (to see) if anyone (of them) might show me a way to escape. But, when I went on my way through the island, I prayed to all of the gods who dwell on Olympus; then Eurylochus began to outline a wicked plan to his comrades: 'Listen to my words, my comrades in suffering such hardships. To (us) wretched men, all forms of death (are) abominable, but to die, and thus to meet one's fate, by starvation (is) the most pitiable. But come, let us round up the best of the Sun's cows, and let us sacrifice (them) to the immortals who dwell in the broad sky. If we ever reach our homeland at Ithaca, we shall at once build a gorgeous temple to Helios Hyperion, and in (it) we shall place many precious ornaments. But, if he is angered in any way at the loss of his straight-horned cattle, and he chooses to wreck our ship, and the other gods consent to (this), I would prefer to lose my life with one gulp in the waves, rather than to be slowly drained of my strength, while lying on a desert island.'     

"So spoke Eurylochus, and the rest of his comrades gave their assent to (what he said). Then at once, they rounded up the pick of Helios' cows nearby - for the fine broad-browed cows with their crooked horns were grazing not far from our dark-prowed vessel. Then, they surrounded them, and made prayers to the gods, plucking the fresh leaves from the lofty foliage of an oak-tree - for they had no (grains of) white barley on board their well-benched ship. Now, when they had prayed, and cut their throats and flayed (them), they cut out the thigh pieces and covered (them) with fat, and laid raw meat on top of them, making two layers. They had no wine to pour over the burning sacrifice, but they made libations with water, as they roasted all the entrails. 

Ll. 364-396.  Angered at the loss of his cattle, Helios complains to Zeus. 

"Now, when the thighs had been consumed by the fire and they had tasted the inner parts, then they cut up the rest and stuck (them) on skewers. Then (it was that) sweet sleep fled from my eyelids, and I made my way (back) to our swift ship and the sea-shore. But when, as I went, I drew near to our curved ship, then the sweet smell of (hot) fat enveloped me. So, I groaned and cried out loudly to the immortal gods: 'Father Zeus, and (you) other blessed gods who live forever, indeed it was to bring about my very ruin that you lulled me into that pitiless sleep. Then, left to themselves, my comrades planned this dreadful deed.' 

"Then, a swift messenger, (namely) Lampetia with her trailing robes, came to Helios Hyperion (with the news) that we had killed his cattle. Then, with a heart full of anger, he addressed the immortals: 'Father Zeus, and (you) other blessed gods who live forever, take vengeance on the followers of Odysseus, son of Laertes, who have (so) wantonly killed my cattle, in which I used to rejoice as I went towards the starry sky, and whenever I turned back again to earth from heaven. And, if they do not exact a fit recompense, I shall sink down into Hades and shine among the dead.' 

"Then, Zeus the cloud-gatherer answered him and said: 'Helios, you must surely continue to shine among the immortals and (among) mortal men on the fruitful earth; for I shall soon smite their swift ship with my bright thunderbolt and break (it) into little pieces in the midst of the wine-dark sea.' These (things) I heard from the lovely-haired Calypso; and she said that she herself had heard (them) from the messenger Hermes. 

"But, when I went down to the ship and the sea, I rebuked (my men) each in turn, one after the other, but we could not find any remedy, for the cows were already dead. Straightaway, then, the gods began to manifest portents: the hides began to crawl, the flesh, both roasted and raw, began to bellow around the spits, and a sound was heard like (the lowing) of cattle.

Ll. 397-425.  Zeus' punishment: Odysseus loses his ship and all of his comrades.  

"For six days, then, did my trusty comrades feast on the pick of the cattle of Helios, which they had rounded up; but, when Zeus, the son of Cronos, brought the seventh day upon (us), then, when the wind ceased to rage tempestuously, we quickly embarked and put out into the broad sea, after setting up the mast and hoisting the white sail. 

"But, when we left the island, and no other land appeared, but (only) sky and sea, then indeed did the son of Cronos set a dark cloud above our hollow ship, and the sea grew dark beneath it. Then, she ran on for no very long time; for straightway came the shrieking West Wind, raging with the great (force of) a hurricane, and the blast of the wind snapped both the fore-stays of the mast (i.e. the ropes that stretched from the mast-head to each side of the bows); then the mast fell backwards and all the tackle tumbled into the hold. In the stern of the ship, the (mast) struck the head of the helmsman, and, at the same time, shattered all the bones in his skull; and he plunged from the deck like an acrobat, and his manly spirit left his bones. Then, at the same moment, Zeus thundered and hurled a thunderbolt at the ship; smitten by Zeus' thunderbolt, the whole (vessel) spun around, and was filled with (the smell of) sulphur, and my comrades fell from the ship. Like sea-gulls, they were borne on the waves around the black ship, and a god put a stop to their homecoming. Then, I went backwards and forwards across the ship, till the surge loosened the sides from the keel, and a wave bore her along stripped bare (i.e. of the side-planking), and snapped off her mast from the keel. But over it (i.e. the mast) the back-stay (i.e. the single rope stretching from the mast-head to the stern) made of ox-hide had been flung; with it I lashed together both keel and mast as well, and, sitting on these, I was borne along by the deadly winds. 

Ll. 426-453. Somehow surviving countless hazards, Odysseus is washed up on the shores of Ogygia, the home of the nymph Calypso.

"Then, indeed, the West Wind ceased to rage tempestuously, but the South Wind swiftly came upon (me), bringing great distress to my heart, because it forced me to retrace my course to the deadly Whirlpool. All night long I was borne along, and when the sun rose I came to Scylla's crag and dread Charybdis. She was sucking the salty sea-water back down again; but I, springing upwards towards the lofty fig-tree, held on, clinging to it like a bat. For there was no way that I could cling on, either by establishing a firm foothold or by climbing (the tree); for its roots stretched far away (beneath), and the branches, long and great, (as they were), were high in the air and were overshadowing Charybdis. However, I continued to hold on, until she spewed up my mast and my keel once more; and, as I longed (for them), at last they came; (at the hour) when a man, who settles the many disputes between litigants seeking judgment, rises from the court for his evening meal. even then the timbers are brought to light by Charybdis. Then, I let my hands and feet be carried down from above, and I fell with a splash into the middle (of the water) clear of the long timbers, and, sitting on these, I paddled along with my hands. The Father of men and gods no longer allowed Scylla to catch sight of (me); for otherwise I should not have escaped utter destruction.       

"Thence, I was borne for nine days, but on the tenth night the gods brought me to the island of Ogygia, where dwells the fair-haired Calypso, the dread goddess with a woman's voice, who received me kindly and cared for (me). But why indeed should I tell (you) all this? For, let me tell you, I have already told (it) in this hall to you and your comely wife; and to me it is a tedious (thing) to tell again (a tale which has) plainly been told (i.e. see Book VII, ll. 240-266)."   





No comments:

Post a Comment